At Remote Medical International, we take great pride in our public course locations. While the course location and facility are definitely not the only factors to consider when choosing a remote and wilderness medicine course provider, it certainly is still important. Below you will find important information about the facilities we use to host our public training courses to help simplify you decision. For more information, or if you have specific questions, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remote Medical International Training - Bellingham
RMI Training is located in the Squalicum Loft Business Park. This facility has direct access to Squalicum park and the city of Bellingham’s vast trail network. The trail system allows access to water, beach and adverse terrain settings. The Bellingham facility has a large classroom, as well as space for conducting smaller breakout sessions. Squalicum Lofts provides the perfect location to conduct realistic training scenarios in an urban setting while maintaining a remote and wilderness feel.
Bellingham offers many options for lodging. Students will find they have their choice of hotels, airbnb rentals, campgrounds, and VRBO rentals. Some options include:
- Springhill Suites by Marriott
- La Quinta Inn & Suites
- Holiday Inn Express
- Hotel Bellwether
- Home2 Suites by Hilton
- Chrysalis Inn & Spa
- Heliotrope Hotel
- Fairhaven Village Inn
- Marriott Town Place Suites
- Larrabee State Park
- Birch Bay State Park
The city of Bellingham has many options for dining. Some nearby restaurants include:
- Anthony’s Hearthfire Grill and Anthony’s at Squalicum Harbor
- The Loft
Haggen grocery store offers an array of ready to go salads, soups and sandwiches in their deli.
Uber Eats operates in Bellingham and delivers a wide array of food options.
Bellingham is also well known for it’s breweries and cider houses:
- Boundary Bay Brewery
- Chuckanut Brewery
- Structures Brewery
- Lost Giants Cider
- Stones Throw Brewery
- Aslan Brewing
- Bellingham Cider Company
- Gruff Brewery
- Illuminati Brewing
- Kulshan Brewing
- Melvin Brewpub
- Menace Brewing
- Twin Sisters Brewing and Bellingham Beer Garden
- Wander Brewing
Students are responsible for their own transportation.
Wi-Fi is not available for student use, but there is ample cell phone service.
Bellingham offers many activities for the outdoor enthusiast:
- World class downhill mountain biking at Galbraith Mountain and the Chuckanut trail system
- Down hill & backcountry skiing at the Mt. Baker ski area
- Sea kayaking in the San juan Islands and nearby waterways
- Whale watching in the San Juan islands and nearby waterways
- Trail hiking and climbing in the Cascades and Chuckanut trail systems
- Salmon fishing in the in the nearby waterways and San Juan Islands
There is no smoking.
How to Get Here
909 Squalicum Way, Suite 103
Bellingham Washington 98225
Bellingham is conveniently located between Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, BC. Bellingham hosts an international airport, as well as Amtrak station and Greyhound bus stop. Both taxi and Uber services are available.
Bellingham.org gives many different transportation options, including:
- The Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA). Bellingham’s local bus system with more than 30 routes that link Whatcom County communities.
- Airporter Shuttle transports passengers to and from SeaTac Airport, the Washington State Ferry dock at Anacortes and several other destinations along the I-5 corridor.
- Quick Shuttle transports passengers arriving and departing from Canada only (Vancouver, B.C./Bellingham/Seattle).
- Greyhound departs from the Fairhaven Station four times a day to downtown Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.
- Bolt bus offers daily service connecting Bellingham to Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, BC.
- Charter buses are offered by Hesselgrave International.
- Yellow Cab service is available throughout Bellingham, as well as between Bellingham and Seattle or Vancouver, B.C.
- Rental cars in Bellingham are available through Avis, Budget, Enterprise and Hertz. Town car service is offered by Evergreen Town Car. Passenger vans can also be rented through Fountain Rental.
- Amtrak service connects Bellingham with Seattle, Portland and Eugene, OR to the south, as well as Vancouver, B.C. to the north. Two northbound and two southbound trains depart Bellingham daily.
Bellingham.org is a great website for exploring all Bellingham has to offer.
Tierra Learning Center - Leavenworth, WA
Situated on 320 acres in Sunitsch Canyon, which is five miles outside of Leavenworth, Washington, the Tierra Learning Center provides an optimal site for our Remote EMT courses. The canyon has a diverse pine and fir ecosystem with an extensive trail network, offering endless possibilities for simulated wilderness medicine scenarios and recreation alike.
Lodging is included for some Remote Medical International courses at Tierra Learning Center. When Lodging is an option, each student will share a two-room suite with one other student consisting of a bedroom, living room (with queen-size pullout bed), full bathroom, kitchenette, gas stove, and storage space. Four suites are housed in each building, and there are five total buildings at Tierra. Nestled in between these suites, there is also a hot tub for students and instructors during courses that offer lodging. Please check the specific course you are registering for at Tierra to ensure lodging is provided.
Meals are provided for some Remote Medical International courses at Tierra Learning Center. Meals are prepared daily in the commercial kitchen by Tierra’s chefs from the day the course starts through the last day, including weekends. Meals are typically served buffet style with meat and vegetarian options. Coffee and snacks are also available daily when meals are provided. Please check the specific course you are registering for to see if meals are included with the course.
Tierra Learning Center is less than a three-hour drive from Seattle, WA, and best reached with a personal vehicle. Remote Medical International can arrange a shuttle service from the SEA-TAC airport to Tierra the day before each course starts and following course completion for students flying in for the following course types REMT, RMAP and RMUR. This shuttle services costs $100 each way and can be booked when the course is purchased.
Wireless internet access is available in the Canyon Lodge. Cell phone coverage is limited at Tierra Learning Center. Phones are available in the Canyon Lodge for outgoing calls and each suite has a phone that can receive incoming calls. With a short drive to Leavenworth, cell phone coverage is widely available, as is wireless internet at many coffee shops.
With 300+ days of sunshine a year, Leavenworth is a great place to visit and an even better place to spend a month! Less than a 10-minute drive from Tierra Learning Center, the town offers plenty of shopping, restaurants, coffee shops, bars, festivals, and much more. It gets even better for those who enjoy the outdoors, regardless of the season. Leavenworth is a world-class destination for climbing, mountain biking, skiing, hiking, kayaking & rafting, and just about anything else you can do outdoors. Remember to bring your gear with you! For more information, check out: www.leavenworth.org
Tierra Learning Center is not wheelchair accessible. Service animals are welcome.
Smoking is limited to the designated smoking area.
North Cascades Environmental Learning Center - Diablo, WA
Situated on the shore of Diablo Lake in the heart of the North Cascades National Park, the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center (ELC) provides an optimal site for our Remote EMT courses. The ELC campus is surrounded by mountains and forests with an extensive trail network, offering endless possibilities for simulated wilderness medicine scenarios and recreation alike.
Lodging is included for all Remote Medical International courses at the ELC. Each student will share a lodge room with one or two other students. Each lodge has shared gender-specific bathrooms with 2 private shower stalls and 2 toilet stalls. The student lodges also have a lounge room with a small fridge and sink. There are three lodges on the ELC campus.
Meals are provided as a part of all Remote Medical International courses at the ELC. Meals are prepared daily in the commercial kitchen by ELC chefs beginning the day the course starts through the last day, including weekends. Meals are typically served buffet style with meat and vegetarian options. Coffee, tea, and snacks are also available daily.
The ELC is a 3-hour drive from Seattle, WA, and best reached with a personal vehicle. For students flying in, Remote Medical can arrange a shuttle service from the SEA-TAC airport to the ELC the day before each course starts, and following course completion. This shuttle service costs $100 each way and can be booked during checkout when the course is purchased.
Wireless internet access is available throughout the ELC campus. There is no cell service at the ELC. Phones are available in the lodges and classrooms for outgoing calls. Cell service is available in the town of Newhalem, 15 minutes away by car.
With immediate access to Diablo Lake for boating and fishing, extensive hiking and running trails right on campus, and proximity to climbing, snow sports, and the National park, this facility is a great place to visit and an even better place to spend a month! Remember to bring your gear with you!
The Environmental Learning Center is ADA accessible. Service animals are welcome.
Smoking is limited to the designated smoking area.
Northern Cairn - Alanson, MI
Northern Cairn is located in Alanson, Michigan, in the inland waterway area of Northern Michigan. We use the Northern Cairn location for most of our hybrid courses.
Lodging is not included as a part of our courses at Northern Cairn. We recommend the following lodging locations.
- Stargate Motel, Indian River, MI: (231) 238-7371 (RMI Northern Cairn students receive 30% off)
- Northwoods Lodge, Indian River, MI: 231-238-7729 (RMI Northern Cairn discount available)
- Super 8 Petoskey, Petoskey, MI: 231-439-8000
- Burt Lake State Park, Indian River, MI: 231-238-9392 (very nice and available for camping May – October. If you are from out of state, you will need the $30 Michigan Passport for State parks, available for purchase upon arrival).
There are also many Vacation Rentals By Owner (VRBO) options in the area to choose from as well.
The Northern Cairn course facility does not provide meals. Indian River is a small community nearby with several dining options. Petoskey is larger with a Meijer, Walmart, Grain Train Natural Food Market, etc. The Northern Cairn facility includes a refrigerator and microwave for lunches and beverages.
Students are responsible for their own transportation. The RMI Northern Cairn classroom is located in Alanson, MI, about four hours from Detroit. The best way to arrive is by driving a personal vehicle or by renting a car from the airport upon arrival. Surrounding Airports:
- Cherry Capital Airport – Traverse City, MI. Small regional airport with onsite car rentals. 2 hours from Alanson.
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport – Detroit, MI. Major Airport with onsite car rentals. 4 hours from Alanson.
- Gerald R Ford International Airport – Grand Rapids, MI – Large regional airport. 3.5 hours from Alanson.
Northern Cairn does not offer Wi-Fi for student use. Cell phone service is limited at best as this is a rural location.
Northern Cairn is located in rural Michigan. There is ample opportunity for hiking, fishing, and various watersports.
Northern Cairn is not wheelchair accessible but welcomes service animals.
Smoking is limited to the designated smoking area.